University Preparatory English Program (UP-English)
- The University Pathway (UP) Program is a 12 weeks long and consists of Sections A, B, and C. Each section is 4 weeks full-time.
- Each course is a complete and independent unit.
- Students may take the three sections of the program in any order.
- To satisfy their university English admission requirement, students must meet the requirements of all three sections A, B, and C of the program.
- If students do not meet the requirements of sections A,B, and C they will receive a grade of Incomplete (not Fail) and may take the section or sections required to obtain the overall passing average of 75%.
- The UP program requires a minimum overall IELTS score of 6.0 and a minimum of 6.0 in both the reading and writing components of the IELTS test.
- If your overall IELTS score meets the 6.0 requirement, but your reading and writing scores do not, we strongly recommend that you first enroll in ILI’s level 600 AP program to improve your reading and writing skills. You need to have an average of 75% in the level 600 Academic program or 80% in the level 600 General English program or a 75% in the level 700 General English to qualify.
- Or you can pass the UP Challenge test. You need 75% to succeed in that test.
- However, for some students with previous IELTS scores of 6.5 in writing, reading, listening, or speaking, it may be possible to complete the program in 8 weeks by obtaining a consistent average of 85% or higher in two of the three sections and by completing a challenge test at the end of the 8 weeks.
For 2017, the UP sections are as follows:
January 9, to February 03
April 03 to April 28
June 26 to July 21
September 18 to October 13
February 06 to March 03
May 01 to May 26
July 24 to August 18
October 16 to November 10
March 06 to March 31
May 29 to June 23
August 21 to September 15
November 14 to December 08
Successful completion of UP-English satisfies the English admission requirements at most universities and colleges in Atlantic Canada. Consult the university of your choice to confirm its English language admission requirements. (Note: some graduate level programs may still require an official IELTS score).
If you would like help applying for a conditional offer of admission, you will need to submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete your application to ILI and one of ILI’s associated universities.
- Include a copy of your official high school transcripts.
- Include a letter of academic recommendation from a former teacher.
- Include an application fee in the amount of $300.00 (Canadian) This fee includes ILI’s application fee and the university’s application fee.
(To pay by credit card use the ILI credit card authorization form.)
Here is a listing of ILI’s associate universities. For more information, visit this page .
- Acadia University
- Dalhousie University
- Lakehead University
- Mount Allison University
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- Nova Scotia College of Art and Design
- Saint Mary’s University
- St Francis Xavier University
- University of Prince Edward Island
Here is a listing of ILI’s associate colleges. For more information, visit this page .
- da Vinci College
- Maritime Business College
- Nova Scotia College of Early Childhood Education
- Nova Scotia Community College
- Spratt Shaw College
- Success College
Standardized Test Scores
If you already have a conditional offer of admission to a graduate level program that requires an official IELTS score, ILI can help you to register for an official IELTS test. Visit http://www.ielts.ca