University Preparatory English Program (UP-English)
- The University Pathway (UP) Program is a 12 weeks long and consists of Sections A, B, and C. Each section includes 4 weeks of full-time study.
- Each course is a complete and independent unit.
- Students may take the three sections of the program in any order.
- To satisfy their university English admission requirement, students must acquire an overall average of 75% on the UP program.
- If students do not meet the requirements of sections A,B, and C they will receive a grade of Incomplete (not Fail) and may take the section(s) required to obtain the overall passing average of 75%.
- The UP program requires a minimum overall IELTS score of 6.0 and a minimum of 6.0 in both the reading and writing components of the IELTS test.
- If a student’s overall IELTS score meets the 6.0 requirement, but the reading and writing scores do not, it is strongly recommend that the student first enroll in ILI’s level 600 AP program to improve your reading and writing skills. A student needs to have an average of 75% in the level 600 Academic program or 80% in the level 600 General English program or a 75% in the level 700 General English to qualify.
- Alternatively, a student can be administered the UP Challenge test. A score of 75% is considered a pass grade for this test.
- For students with previous IELTS scores of 6.5 in writing, reading, listening, or speaking, it may be possible to complete the program in 8 weeks by obtaining a consistent average of 85% or higher in two of the three sections and by completing a challenge test at the end of the 8 weeks.
For 2018, the UP sections are as follows:
January 08, to February 02
April 02 to April 27
June 25 to July 13
September 17 to October 12
February 05 to March 02
April 30 to May 25
July 16 to August 03
October 15 to November 09
March 05 to March 29
May 28 to June 22
August 07 to August 24
November 13 to December 07
Successful completion of UP-English satisfies the English admission requirements at most universities and colleges in Atlantic Canada. Consult the university of your choice to confirm its English language admission requirements. (Note: some graduate level programs may still require an official IELTS score).
If you would like help applying for a conditional offer of admission, you will need to submit the following to email@example.com
- Complete your application to ILI and one of ILI’s associated universities.
- Include a copy of your official high school transcripts.
- Include a letter of academic recommendation from a former teacher.
- Include an application fee in the amount of $300.00 (Canadian). This fee includes ILI’s application fee and the university’s application fee. (To pay by credit card use the ILI credit card authorization form.)
Here is a listing of ILI’s associate universities. For more information, visit this page .
- Acadia University
- Dalhousie University
- Lakehead University
- Mount Allison University
- Mount Saint Vincent University
- NSCAD University (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design)
- Saint Mary’s University
- St Francis Xavier University
- University of Prince Edward Island
Here is a listing of ILI’s associate colleges. For more information, visit this page .
- da Vinci College
- Maritime Business College
- Nova Scotia College of Early Childhood Education
- Nova Scotia Community College
- Spratt Shaw College
- Success College
Standardized Test Scores
If you already have a conditional offer of admission to a graduate level program that requires an official IELTS score, ILI can help you to register for an official IELTS test. Visit http://www.ielts.ca